A pair of "Cricklade" Pottery Feathered Slipware Dishes
by Ivan Martin (1913-1979)
Lead glazed earthenware
Imoressed "CRICKLADE" marks to the underside
English, Circa 1955
Each measures (approx.) 3 cm high x 22.5 cm long x 16.6 cm wide
The dishes of traditional form with scalloped edges decorated with yellow ochre and dark brown slip with feathered and combed patterning.
The Cricklade Pottery was founded in 1951 by Ivan and Kay Martin in the town of Cricklade on the Wiltshire/Gloucestershire border. Ivan had begun his career as a potter in 1947 as an odd-job man at Winchcombe Pottery under Ray Finch (1914-2012).
These two very attractive dishes are of a traditional form inspired by English vernacular slipware pottery.