Band & Banner of “The United Kingdom Society of Coachmakers”
Original Bromide Print
J. Sumner, 110 St.Aldates,
25 cm x 29.8 cm (image)
40 cm x 49.8 cm (framed)
Presented in its original silver leaf frame (distressed).
This historical Victorian photograph shows the bandsmen and banner of “The United Kingdom Society of Coachmakers”. It is thought that the event they are depicted at may possibly be a parade to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897.
The photographic studio of "J. Sumner" at 110 St.Aldates, Oxford seems to have been a relatively short-lived enterprise. It may have taken over from "G. Coles" and been superceded by "Turner", both of whom were photographers trading from the same address.
"The United Kingdom Society of Coachmakers" was formed in 1834 by the Liverpool and Manchester Coachmakers' Societies after they had co-operated during a strike. In 1919 they amalgamated with the London and Provincial Coachmakers' Society, the Operative Coachmakers and Wheelwrights' Federal Labour Union, and the London Coachsmiths and Vicemen's Trade Society to form "The National Union of Vehicle Builders". In 1972, after other mergers, they became part of "The Transport and General Workers' Union". They were also related historically to the "Worshipful Company of Coachmakers" whose coat of arms is included on the banner (to the left beside those of the Royal Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom).
The banner depicted here (along with its various additions, reflecting the later history of the "Society" and its evolution into a "Union") can now be found in The People's History Museum in Manchester.
Please fill in the information below