"Pembroke College Cambridge"
Augustus Charles Pugin (c.1762–1832)
Engraved by Joseph Constantine Stadler (1755-1812)
Original hand-coloured aquatint
Published by Rudolph Ackermann,
No 101, Strand
29 cm x 23 cm (aperture)
42.5 cm x 35.4 cm (Framed & glazed)
Lettered beneath the image with the title "Pembroke College" "A. Pugin delt" "J Stadler sculpt" "London Pubd May 1 1814 at 101 Strand for R. Ackermann's History of Cambridge".
Lettered beneath the image with the title "J Farington R.A. delt." and "J.C. Stadler fact." "Pub: June 1. 1793 by J. & J. Boydell. / Chespside & Shakespeare Gallery Pall Mall."
An attractive and well presented aquatint with original hand-colouring, depicting the Trumpington Street frontage of Pembroke College Cambridge. The buildings in the left foreground are largely unchanged. The main building in the centre of the image, with the lantern and weathervane, is Pembroke College Chapel, designed by Sir Christopher Wren and consecrated in 1665. The buildings on the left beyond this were replaced in the 1870's by Alfred Waterhouse's "Red Buildings". The cottages in the distance were demolished in the 1830's to make way for George Basevi and Charles Robert Cockerell's Fitzwilliam Museum "Founders Building" (completed in 1848).
Light foxing giving an attractive antique appearance.
Please fill in the information below