"A View of the Custom House, with part of the Tower, taken from ye River Thames, London"
Engraving by J Maurer (fl.1713-c.1761)
with original gouache hand-colouring
Published by Bowles & Sayer
36 cm x 51.2 cm (Framed)
Lettered with the title in English and French beneath "A view of the Custom House, with part of the Tower, taken from ye River Thames, London [graphic] | Vüe de la Douane et une partie de la Tour, prise de la Riviere Thamise a Londres" and with "Maurer Delin", "T. Bowles Sculp"; Publish'd according to Act of Parliament 1753"; "London Printed for T. Bowles in St Pauls Church Yard; John Bowles & Son 13 in Cornhill, Robt Sayer in Fleet Street London".
An attractively coloured perspective view of the old Customs House on the Thames stood on "Wool Quay" or "Custom House Quay". Various ships and boats are afloat on the water and the Tower of London can be seen in the distance. The Customs House, as depicted here, was designed by Thomas Ripley, replacing a structure by Christopher Wren erected after the Great Fire of London but destroyed by fire in 1715. Ridley's Customs House was also destroyed in a blaze in February 1814.
The original gouache colouring is in a good state. Well presented, framed and glazed - in a nice vintage, early 20th Century Hogarth frame.
Please fill in the information below