A Rare Pair of Authentically Presented 18th Century Prints by Jacques Philippe Le Bas (1707-1783) after David Teniers (1610–1690)
"Environs De Caudebec"
"Vue Des Environs De Bruges"
The prints published in Paris circa 1750
in original carved ebonised pearwood frames
by “Leoni & Haliday”, with ripple glass
Framed and glazed in London, circa 1780
26.5 cm x 29.5 cm (each, framed)
The Delves Broughton family, Broughton Hall, Eccleshall, Staffordshire
["BROUGHTON" inventory label verso]
Lettered beneath the images with the titles and, either side of a heraldic cartouche, "Peint par David Tenier" / "Gravé par Le Bas" / "Dédié à Monsieur Blondel de Gagny / De même Grandeur que l'Original liré du Cabinet de M. de Gagny Par Son très humble et trèz Obéissani Serviteur J.P. Le Bas." One with the publication line "A Paris chez Esnauts et Rapilly rue St. Jacques, a la Ville de Coutances." the other "A Paris chez Le Bas Graveur Pensionneure du Roi rur de la Harpe". Presented in original 18th Century carved and ebonised pearwood frames by Leoni & Haliday, traces of gilding to the inner and outer mouldings.
Whilst the prints themselves are very interesting, their presentation represents an exceptional survival.
These engravings by Jacques Philippe Le Bas are from the series of prints which he produced showing pictures by Flemish masters in French collections. The two prints here represent views by David Teniers which were in the collection of the connoisseur Monsieur Augustin Blondel de Gagny (1695-1776), one of the greatest art collectors of the 18th century.
Both prints have been linen backed and mounted on stretchers, as frequently seen in the Georgian era, however the backs retain their original framer's labels for "Leoni & Haliday / At No.96 Portland Street, Cavendish Square; / Sell all Sorts of Window Glass; / Likewise Glazing & Painting in General done / in the best manner at the most reasonable Rates; / Prints neatly Framed & Glazed / At the lowest Prices / Country Orders executed with the greatest Expedition" and with a minute line confirming the label's printer "Longmate fecit Noel Street Soho". From bills held in the National Archives, Leoni & Haliday, although very undereaserched, are known to have supplied glass to Matthew Brettingham the Younger (1725–1803) during the construction of Egremont House, Piccadilly (now Cambridge House, the former site of the "In & Out" ("Naval & Military") Club). They also provided glazing to the Pantheon Opera between 1790 and 1792.
Leoni & Haliday's trade card is not in the collection of Sir Ambrose Heal, now in the British Museum, however, the Corning Museum of Glass does hold a trade card for them [see Corning Museum 107849] with their address altered in manuscript from '96 Portland Street' to '68'. They suggest a date of 1800 but it seems that the frames here may date from slightly earlier. Joseph Leoni was a witness at Thomas Haliday's marriage to Mariane Jouneaux at St Mary Le Bone on 26 June 1773. Joseph Leoni (a widower) was married to Maria Edwards (a widow) at St Mary Le Bone on 14 May 1774 and Thomas Haliday was, in turn, a witness to his marriage [see "The registers of marriages of St. Mary le Bone, Middlesex, 1668-1812"]. It is interesting to note the printer of the label as "Longmate" (the family of engravers headed by Barak Longmate (1738–1793)). The Longmates were initially based in Portland Street and then moved to Noel Street, Soho so they were probably known personally to Leoni & Haliday.
The prints were formerly in the collection of the Delves Broughton family of Broughton Hall Staffordshire, sold in 1914.
Neither prints nor trade card in BM
Please fill in the information below