“A View of Cliefden House" [Cliveden]
As Published in the 'Universal Magazine'
Antique copper plate engraving
On laid paper
Framed & glazed
18.5 cm x 26 cm (plate)
30.2 cm x 37.5 cm (framed)
An antique line engraving of Cliveden House (here "Cliefden").
Lettered above the image 'Engraved for the Universal Magazine according to Act of Parliament 1749 for J. Hinton at ye Kings Arms in St. Paul's Yard, London'. Beneath with 'A View of Cliefden House / humbly inscribed to his Royal Highness ye Prince of Wales.~' With the Royal Coat of Arms and the motto 'Ich Dien'.
The Prince of Wales to whom the print is dedicated is Frederick Louis (1707 –1751), who predeceased his father George II - the throne therefore passing to Frederick's eldest son (who became George III).
Cliveden House was rented to Frederick Prince of Wales as a Royal Residence from 1737 until his death. The old house caught fire and burned down on 20 May 1795 and was replaced, in due course, between 1851-52 by an Italianate villa designed by Sir Charles Barry for the Duke of Sutherland. The property was acquired by the Duke of Westminster and then by the Astor family, in whose ownership it was in at the time when the property became notorious during the Profumo Affair. It is now a luxury hotel in the ownership of the National Trust.
Two vertical folds as published.