David Loggan (1634-1692)
"Bibliothecae Bodleianae Oxoniae"
The Bodleian Library (the interior of Duke Humfrey's Library from the East End and the West End)
34.3 cm x 47 cm (Paper size)
38.8 cm x 51.3 cm (Framed)
Paul Vacani, 157 Fulham Road, London (before 1911) (Trade Label Verso)
Major Coningsby Disraeli (1867–1936) (nephew of Benjamin Disraeli), Hughenden Manor House (His Label Verso)
Dr Pamela Nightingale, Oxford (manuscript notation verso)
This engraving from David Loggan's "Oxonia Illustrata", published in 1675, shows the interior of the Bodleian Library as it appeared during the reign of King Charles II, with Duke Humfrey's Library (as restored by Sir Thomas Bodley from 1598) and its additions made between 1610 and 1612 to both the Arts (East) End and Selden (West) End. This print here is the original 1675 issue. A similar, though smaller, print by Pieter van der Aa (1659-1733) was later issued (in 1727) after this version.
When Bodley updated the Oxford University library he was determined to turn what had a become "a great desolate roome" into a noble space which would give readers everything they required and would also "stirre vp other mens benevolence, to helpe to furnishe it with bookes". In the 'Arts End' bookcases were placed against the walls from floor to ceiling, with a gallery at mid-height. This was the first time such a system had been used on such a large scale in England, and it allowed the library to accommodate the numerous books that had been donated by the Stationers' Company. This system was also employed at the 'Selden End', which Bodley had imagined before his death as "some bewtifull enlargment at the west end".
Very Scarce in this format. Fold to the centre as issued. See BM 1868,0612.1599 & 1868,0612.1600 for a copy divided in two (cut along the upper and lower sections). See Wellcome Collection 20991i for a torn and fritted version. See Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam RP-P-2015-26-2083 for a well preserved copy in a similar state to that here.
Nicely toned with age and very well framed and glazed, in a simple early 20th Century gilded slip, probably by the London art dealer Paul Vacani.
Please fill in the information below